Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The gift is more then the book, it's the story that goes with it.

My collection is filled with treasures I've hunted down, different printings I've picked up and gift brought to me from around the world. Basically if it was printed here in the states, hardbound or softbound, movie covers or original covers, collectors editions or trade paperbacks (those are the smaller sized ones you find in the grocery store) I have them all.
Well... all except for one. Funny enough the only one I don't have is Twilight hardbound!
I know you're thinking, what the...? What kind of collector can she be if she doesn't even have hardbound Twilight. That's like learning the alphabet with out the letter A. BUT... I'm waiting. I am waiting to find a first printing of Twilight and no other copy will do! So, I hunt, and I look, and I wait. Not that they aren't out there for $400-$600 in good condition, but I am a girl on a budget and I am sure many of you can relate to that.
So, as different printings come out I pick them up. I have a little Twilight Saga budget and I try and stick to it. -Try being the key word in that sentence.- The beauty for having a collection like this is I've had to "come out" to all my friends. 32 books is a lot to try and keep under wraps. Now everyone knows about my Twilove and I'm now being gifted books, magazines, candy, toys and anything Twirelated anyone can find for me. As I have said to my friends before it is an embarrassment of riches! And of course I am in HEAVEN....
What really make my heart beat a little faster is when someone brings me a book from far a away place. My dad brought me back a copy of Twilight, after working Russia. Then my friend Natalie searched for a copy while in Thailand. Then the husband of another friend found one in France for me. As you can guess the list goes on.
Beside having different copies of the books in all these languages with their cool covers and interesting writing, these books come with a gift. They come with the time and stories each person shares with me on their quest to find me these books. Some have come back having needed to argue with the locals that YES they really did want it in the local language NOT English. A friend in the Hong Kong airport was trying to pick up Twilight for me, and a totally none Twirelated book for herself, and ended up in like 5 different airport shops before having to break down buying them in two different places. Another friend recently told me the word Twilight confused the shop keepers in the Ukraine but the name Stephenie Meyer did not, LOL! So, besides having a wonderful collection of Stephenie's gifts, I have gifts from each of my friends. I have their time, love, stories, and the moments I get to share with them. It reminds me they of how special they really are, and that they're willing to do just about anything for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment