Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fantastic FanFic!



One of my Christmas in July packages included a story that one of the TM's wrote. She did a fantastic job and it was great! Her story is based on the characters in The Twilight Saga and takes place after Breaking Dawn has ended. It involves a gift Bella gives Edward and the path that takes them on to in an attempt to give him a look at his human life. I was one of four people to have the honor of getting a copy, and one of four people to ever read the story.
Stories like this are considered "fanfiction". Since I don't know a lot about fanfiction I decided to look it up. This is what I got from Wikipedia,
"Fan fiction (alternately referred to as fanfiction, fanfic, FF, or fic) is a broadly-defined term for fan labor regarding stories about characters or settings written by fans of the original work, rather than by the original creator. Works of fan fiction are rarely commissioned or authorized by the original work's owner, creator, or publisher; also, they are almost never professionally published. Fan fiction, therefore, is defined by being both related to its subject's canonical fictional universe and simultaneously existing outside the canon of that universe.[1] Most fan fiction writers assume that their work is read primarily by other fans, and therefore tend to presume that their readers have knowledge of the canon universe (created by a professional writer) in which their works are based."
As I searched for fanfiction I found whole sites dedicated to these stories and some for specific book, movie and TV series like Harry Potter, Star Trek and Twilight. What I think is so cool about these stories is that they are giving thousands, and thousands of people the opportunity to write freely with characters they already adore. What was special about the story my creative friend wrote was she actually incorporated a variety of characters from more then one series together to create a history for Edward. It was absolutely the most clever combination of ideas I can imagine, and I thank her for sharing her gift with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment